- Cats are hilarious. Lolcats? Maru and his boxes? Stuff on cats? I just dare you not to laugh.
- It’s a proven fact: the internet is made of cats. And what would we do without the internet?
- Cats are good for you. Another proven fact. You want to live long and prosper, don’t you?
What? You need more reasons? Okay, how about these:
- According to American Humane, about 4 million cats end up in shelters every year.
- Spring is breeding season for kittehs, so this time of year there are even more homeless cats than during late summer, fall or winter. That’s why you’ll often hear spring time referred to as “kitten season” at your local shelter.
- In the U.S., between 3 million to 4 million cats and dogs are euthanized each year. By adopting a cat this month, you would be single-handedly saving a life. Unless you happen to be Superman, that’s not exactly something you get a chance to do every day.
- Oh, and once you adopt, you’ll have your very own cat to put stuff on. Like hats. Or sunglasses. Or toast.
In addition to adopting, you can also help your local shelter come up with a creative promotional event to celebrate Adopt-a-Cat Month and help local felines find their forever homes. Promotional events with reduced adoption fees are a proven way to help increase adoptions and reduce overcrowding in shelters (which can often lead health problems).
If your local shelter or rescue doesn’t already have something planned, now is the time to volunteer your time to help make June the best month ever for cat adoptions in your town. Here are a few ideas to get those creative juices flowing:
- Unleash the Love
- Summertime in the City
- Saving a life — Priceless!
- The Revenge of Kitty Galore
- Kitty Kristmas in July
- Five. Five Dollar. Five Dollar Felines!
- Certified Pre-owned Cats
- Feline Independence Day
- Fast and the Furriest